Monday, September 15, 2008

My son's birthday

Last week my son turned one! The year has just flown by. It has been truly amazing to see all of the growth he has undergone in the past 12 months. As I reflected on his 9 months in my womb, and his first year in the world, I feel so blessed that the SCD worked so well during both pregnancy and nursing him. My doctor was thankfully supportive of the SCD during pregnancy, but did admit to me later that he wasn't sure I was going to do so well. But - in his words - I had the picture-perfect pregnancy! Our son was an extremely healthy 7 pounds 15 oz. when he was born, and was a 9 out of 10 on the Apgar scale. He was beautiful when he was born - rosy cheeks and all. I can't imagine a healthier pregnancy or baby!

At first, I was a little nervous that he would get enough from me while nursing. I shouldn't have worried! The whole year he wowed us by being in the 95th percentile for weight and length consistently, and at his one year check-up last week the doctor said he's almost off the charts for length! Neither my husband or I are overly tall people so we can definitely attribute his robust health in large part to the healthy diet I ate while nursing him this year. Thank you, SCD!

It feels great to know that I gave him the best start I could give him while sticking to the SCD.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yea Erin!!!He and Jim are benefitting from your very healthy diet by being recipients of your cooking. Even though they can eat non-SCD foods,their diet is SO much healthier than the average American.
Aunt G