Sunday, December 14, 2008

Looking forward to Christmas

I'm really looking forward to being at my parents' house for Christmas. One of the fun things I look forward to when I go home is all of the yummy food my Mom has made - that I can eat! It's a rare treat not to have to cook my own food!

One of the delicious Christmas foods she's making this year are Sugar Plums. She found the recipe in a magazine last year and the only thing she had to adapt from the classic recipe is that they are rolled in almond flour or unsweetened coconut instead of sugar.
If I wasn't on this diet I probably would never know what exactly Sugar Plums are. We've all heard the classic poem "The Night Before Christmas" which has the line "and visions of Sugar Plums danced in their heads." Whenever I heard that part of the poem I never stopped to think of what Sugar Plums really are...

...And I really should have earlier, because they are so good! They have a sweet and spicy flavor, coupled with a hint of orange that is so Christmas-y. One great thing about them is that they can be made up to a month ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator in an air-tight container. That makes them even more attractive in the busy Holiday rush. And the longer they're stored, the more the flavor of the spices blend together and the better they get!

I would highly recommend making some of these treats now and storing them for the Holidays so you'll have some easy, decadent treats for yourself to thoroughly enjoy at Holiday get-togethers.
Together with the other delicious Christmas recipes on the Holidays page, you will be enjoying an enviable feast when the Holidays roll around!

No comments: